Utility equipment has typically utilized serial communications pathways. Using the creation of lower-cost high reliability IP systems, the popularity is to replace aging equipment or install new systems with IP because the transport mechanism. For a lot of utilities today, IP-based systems between offices, to substations, and also to other key utility locations really are a logical option for supporting multiple applications on a single network connection. For instance, a software application by having an IP network to some substation may concurrently support SCADA, load management, automatic meter studying/advanced metering infrastructure (AMR/AMI), direct connect with relay configuration ports, video monitoring and a number of other applications.
Power System Engineering, Corporation. (PSE)’s Migration to IP Systems services include:
- Evaluating the advantages, costs, risks, and process for moving for an IP network
- Designing the best IP-based solution including: path studies, bandwidth assessments, technology review, and budgets
- Addressing migration from legacy equipment and software which use proprietary and/or serial communication protocols
- Preparing detailed request proposal (RFP) specifications including interfaces to any or all equipment and systems
- Assisting within the selection and contracting of communication equipment and repair providers
- Facilitating or assisting using the deployment process